Re: NMUs applying sleeping wishlist bugs about translation

On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 02:05:15PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 11:46:41 -0500, Steve Langasek <vorlon@netexpress.net> said:

> > This is the sticking point, I think.  Are we talking about resolving
> > the possible problems *from* NMUing, or are we talking about
> > resolving any problems that happen to show up after the NMU?  I

> 	How can one distinguish between the two, without
>  investigation? Often bugs are caused by the darndest things, and some
>  of the worst are the "can't happen" category bugs.

Oh, surely you can't; but once a determination is made, I don't think
the NMUer bears any more responsibility than any other developer to fix
those bugs that were not actually caused by the NMU.

> > absolutely agree that an NMUer is responsible for fixing any
> > problems caused by the NMU, but I don't agree that NMUers should be
> > held responsible for pre-existing bugs in the package -- whether or
> > not they happened to be exposed by the NMU in question.

> 	If you upload caused things to get worse for the users of the
>  package, you are responsible. If the upload has changed things for
>  the worse, you should try and fix it. The very least you *must* do is
>  monitor the package to ensure that your NMU is not causing problems.

I agree with you but some of the assertions made in this discussion
appear to go farther.

> > If that's the case, I have no inclination whatsoever to NMU buggy
> > packages -- I'd much rather file for their removal from the archive.

> 	No one is holding a gun to your head. You are a volunteer, and
>  can't be forced to NMU.

Quite.  But I believe that doing NMUs *does* improve the overall quality
of Debian, and I believe that putting NMUers on the spot over bugs they
didn't cause would be a sufficient deterrent that Debian would suffer
for it.  I have no qualms about requesting package removals from the
archive, but when I'm doing NMUs, I usually start with packages I
*don't* think should be removed.

> > Holding NMUers accountable for the quality of their uploads: yes.

> 	Quite. If your upload caused the situation to deteriorate,
>  whether you deliberately caused the change that made it so or it was
>  inadvertent, you are responsible.

I can't tell if we're agreeing here or not. :)  Yes, if you make a
change in the NMU that causes the situation to deteriorate, you are
responsible; but a pre-existing FTBFS error in the package that just
hasn't been filed yet isn't the result of a change made by the NMUer,
and therefore the NMUer should not be held responsible.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer