Re: NMUs applying sleeping wishlist bugs about translation

On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 07:37:12PM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Joel Baker (fenton@debian.org) wrote:
> > This argument would carry more weight with me if it were possible to either
> > A) test the upload *completely* before making it (IE, catch all possible
> > FTBFS bugs or other quirks that happen when dealing with the build daemons,
> > many of which even a sane chroot build can't catch), or B) to back out an
> > upload and say "Well, damn. It has an FTBFS bug that I can't fix; I should
> > file a bug on *that*, and back out to the last known good copy".
>
> Or file the FTBFS bug and if the maintainer isn't going to do anything
> and no one is willing to actually maintain it then have it orphaned to
> QA and/or removed.

And that's the point. Some folks are asserting that the NMUer is
responsible not only for filing the bug (as anyone who notices it should
generally be expected to do), but for *fixing* it. Right then, since now
there is a broken situation in unstable (in that usually at least one arch
now has *no* binaries for it). Whether or not the NMU actually caused it,
or merely exposed it.
--
Joel Baker <fenton@debian.org>                                        ,''`.
Debian GNU NetBSD/i386 porter                                        : :' :