Re: 0 RC bugs == releasable quality?

On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 02:57:10PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 01:48:20AM +0300, Richard Braakman wrote:
> > Imagine a year from now.  You're at a geekly convention.  Someone
> > walks up to you and says, "Hey, you're Mark Howard!  I've been using
> > your package in stable, and..."
> >
> > At this point, do you go "Uh-oh"?  Does your gut start churning?
> > Sweaty palms?  Fight-or-flight response?
> >
> > Then it's best not to release the package.
>
> Hrm. I guess that theory doesn't scale up beyond the package level...

It doesn't even scale up to XFree86.  *Every time* someone talks to me
in person about XFree86, I expect they want my help with a problem, or
they want to complain.

The exceptions, comprising about 10% of personal feedback, are:
1) "Why isn't XFree86 4.3.0 in woody?"
2) questions about what I think about the flamewar of the day (Keith
   Packard, Xouvert, etc.)
3) "Good job!" (okay, okay, I admit, this only about 0.0001% of all
   feedback)

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     There's nothing an agnostic can't
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     do if he doesn't know whether he