Re: Translations sleeping in the BTS (was: Re: non-DD contributors and the debian keyring)

Quoting Stephen Frost (sfrost@snowman.net):

> I feel this is utter bullshit, personally.  One shouldn't be NMU'ing for
> wishlist bugs.  If the package isn't maintained then hijack it instead.
> If you don't have time to do that then there's no way in hell you should
> be NMU'ing it anyway.  If no one is willing to maintain it then it

I don't understand why the alternative should be "hijack or leave".

I, for sure, cannot hijack any package for which nothing has been done
for translation related bugs. I would quickly end up with dozens of
packages I'm responsible for, the majority of which I'm perfectly
unable to maintain.

But I cannot leave also. Nothing in these packages tells me that they
are unused, or useless or whatever. As they're kept in the archive, I
suppose they are either used, or to be used, by someone. This may of
course be wrong for some of them, but I'm perfectly unable to
determine this.

I also hate to see valuable work such as the one made by translation
teams (or some motivated individuals) dying slowly in the BTS like
some russian translations I find regularly, which are so old that
they're most often outdated....just because the damn maintainer was
too lazy to try to figure out how to use them....

The key point, as usual, is the "wishlist" status of translation bug
reports. I, as a non native english speaker, do not consider
translation to be only a "wish", but a requirement.

I respect the usage in Debian and file my translation-related bugs as
"wishlist"....but am not really satisfied with this.

As Javier pointed at Debconf, it's maybe time for a "i18n" tag in the
BTS.. :-)