Re: stack protection

On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 10:41:16PM +1000, Brian May wrote:
> > Indeed, it's looking likely that GregKH's `udev' will replace devfs
> > sometime in the future.
>
> Dare I ask the obvious question: what is udev? Why is it better then
> devfs?

It's mostly in user-space, lighter-weight, and more configurable.  It relies
on a clever use of other existing kernel features (ramfs, hotplug callouts,
sysfs) rather than being a big chunk of special purpose code wired into
kernel space.

Also, the naming policy is entirely in user-space, there are no wacky device
naming conventions in the kernel where they can cause big flamewars.

-Miles
--
`Suppose Korea goes to the World Cup final against Japan and wins,' Moon said.
`All the past could be forgiven.'   [NYT]