Re: stack protection

On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 10:57:17PM +1000, Russell Coker wrote:
> http://archive.linuxsymposium.org/ols2003/Proceedings/
>
> As for why it's better than udev.  There have been bugs in devfs in the past
> related to race conditions.  Also devfs requires that the kernel knows about
> all the device nodes, whether this is a bug or an excellent feature is a
> matter of opinion.

After reading the article, it would seem a key problem is that the
kernel enforces the name of the devices.

(actually I like this; it means you can refer the the same device with
the same name on different systems, and removes the need to reconfigure
each program, for instance, to tell it where the sound device is).

Since this is the approach being taken, I wonder how long the root=...
linux command line parameter will remain as it exists now?

In 2.4.x at least, it hardcodes non-devfs device name passing, eg
/dev/hda1 and /dev/md1 work, but /dev/md/1 maps to major=9 minor0 (or
/dev/md0).

This mapping from root= to major,minor takes place before the initrd
image runs.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>