Re: Ideas about allowing Co-maintainer

On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 11:02:44PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:

> Given 20 bugs with most likely overlapping problems one patch for all
> is much simpler than to get 20 patches made that work alone and in
> combination (if thats even possible).

If the worst comes to the worst you could always mail the same patch to
all the bugs in question.  I don't think anyone would get upset about
that - if one fix covers many things then providing you explain what's
going on it's fairly unlikely that anyone would get upset.  I know I've
done things like that before without hassle.

> Making the presence as patch to a bug in the BTS the decission
> criteria for sposnoring looks awfully short sighted to me.

If you're going to do a NMU you ought to be supplying a patch to the
maintainer anyway.  Even if it's not possible to split things up at all
and what you're sending is the entire NMU it's still a patch which you
should be offering to the maintainer at least at the time you upload to
DELAYED if not before.  Since for sponsorship asking someone to do the
upload is about the same as doing the upload (in that everything should
be ready and good to go) it seems to fit pretty well.

What's being asked for here isn't that much different to the things that
ought to be done were you doing the upload directly.