Re: better make a standard for /etc/*/*_not_to_be_run

On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 06:24:29PM +0200, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 05:12:11PM +0100, Peter Karlsson wrote:
> > Several packages include stuff like this in /etc/default/<packagename>, so
> > it seems there are several existing solutions to this problem. :-)
>
> Yes, but /etc/default/ is totally the wrong directory. default is from
> *BSD, where it is used to contain the defaults, not the local config. Other
> Linux distributions do not use default, but something like sysconfig.

Then we use /etc/default different from the BSDs. Policy says that
/etc/default/ should be used to source configuration variables for init
scripts:

 [..snip..]
 changes.  To ease the burden on the system administrator, such
 configurable values should not be placed directly in the script.
 Instead, they should be placed in a file in `/etc/default', which
 typically will have the same base name as the `init.d' script.  This
 extra file should be sourced by the script when the script runs.  It
 [..snip..]

I agree that it's not the optimal place to store if a daemon should be
run or not (and that the name "default" is misleading) but it's probably
the best place until we have a policy-rc.d.
Regards,
 -- Guido