Re: Usefulness of SSMTP [Was: Should MUA only Recommend mail-transfer-agent?]

On Wed, 2003-08-06 at 09:27, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 06:51:12PM +1000, Brian May wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 09:35:29AM +0200, Matthias Urlichs wrote:
> > > IMHO using any local mailer is a bad idea on a desktop system. You send
> > > off the mail, your MUA says "Sent", you power down or just close the
> > > laptop, and, if your smarthost happens to be a bit slow today, the mail
> > > sits there indefinitely.
>
> > Unless it is something like SSMTP...
>
> > SSMTP has no queue and sends E-Mail immediately to a smarthost.
>
> And is a much better choice than expecting every user to locally
> configure smtp settings in the MUA.  Lack of direct-SMTP support in mutt
> is a good thing.

SSMTP is not acceptable for those of us that use SMTP AUTH+TLS, unless
it supports those (it didn't, last time I looked). In fact, there don't
appear to be any "dumb" MTAs (like ssmtp or nullmailer) that support TLS
and SMTP authentication. This is why I can't use Mutt anymore.
--
Joe Wreschnig <piman@debian.org>