Re: Usefulness of SSMTP [Was: Should MUA only Recommend mail-transfer-agent?]

Joe Wreschnig said on Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 04:39:10PM -0500:
> > And is a much better choice than expecting every user to locally
> > configure smtp settings in the MUA.  Lack of direct-SMTP support in mutt
> > is a good thing.
>
> SSMTP is not acceptable for those of us that use SMTP AUTH+TLS, unless
> it supports those (it didn't, last time I looked). In fact, there don't
> appear to be any "dumb" MTAs (like ssmtp or nullmailer) that support TLS
> and SMTP authentication. This is why I can't use Mutt anymore.

ssmtp in unstable supports TLS and certificate based AUTH (so you can
authenticate on a per machine basis for relay).  It appears to have AUTH
CRAM-MD5 support, but it's unclear if that's distributable (according to
comments in the source).  It also has AUTH LOGIN support (on a per user basis,
via the -au and -ap command line options).

So, you could use mutt, if you wanted to backport ssmtp from unstable (which I
have done, and it's pretty easy to do).