Re: libraries being removed from the archive

Quoting christophe barbe <christophe@cattlegrid.net>:

> Ok, sorry for being rude in my previous mail.
>
> I understand the general problem that you are facing with KDE and
> will try in the future to announce upcomming soname changes.
>
> Concerning the removal, I don't really see the point of not removing
> older libraries from unstable. Most of the time, rebuilding the package
> is enough to fix the UNINSTALLABLE problem.
> My understanding of what you want is some kind of direct upload to
> testing which is not the intented purpose of unstable.

Usually, you can use apt-cache showpkg libexif8 and send a message to
every maintainer whose package depends on it, asking to rebuild against
the new libexif9. When everyone has rebuilt against the new lib,
then you can ask for the removal of the old library.

Cheers,

--
Jérôme Marant