Re: unicode

On Friday 25 July 2003 11:10, Michael Piefel wrote:
> Am 25.07.03 um 10:04:26 schrieb David Pashley:
> > Probably the biggest unicode problem I have noticed is with man and/or
> > less where it can't display dashes correctly. At least it doesn't seem
> > to work out of the box.
>
> What's a "dash"? Sorry, but you have to be more specific here. There's
> the minus sign (usually introducing options) and the hyphen (for
> hyphenation). If the latter cannot be shown, it might also be a
> deficiency of the font you use.

Hmmm. This is really funny. Look at http://fortytwo.ch/~avbidder/man-page.png.
But when I copy-paste into kmail, it comes right, with all '-' (both hyphens
and minus) - exactly as if I start man with LC_CTYPE=de_CH (as I usually do
it). Also, this doesn't happen with all manpages.

What I don't really get: I use the same font for almost everything
(lucidatypewriter), definitely so for the mail composer and the konsole. So
while the fact that copy-pasting it 'solves' the problem hints at a font
problem, I copy and paste between windows that use the same font...

confused greetings
-- vbi

(for another unicode issue:
http://fortytwo.ch/~avbidder/konsole-unicode-bug.png)