Is Debian aims to be unicode compatible system?

If yes, then should I mail a bug report against packages which are not able to handle unicode?

If yes, should it be "Minor", "Normal" or "Important"?

For example, grep is not able to search unicode strings.

	Important is a bug which has a major effect on the usability
	of a package, without rendering it completely unusable to

So, should I file a bug with "important" severity for grep?
Best regards, Sergey Spiridonov