Re: Why back-porting patches to stable instead of releasing a new package.

On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 01:31:52PM +0200, Fabio Massimo Di Nitto wrote:
> Because you can never be sure that it will not change the package
> behaviour in all its small details and that will not introduce new bugs.

...And that is a rock solid concept if applied in general.

> Probably in the specific case it can apply but this is not true for all
> packages. Policy/developer-references have to carry the most generic case
> as possible, as a best/current practise.

So, let's assume that there may be some cases in which our general behaviour
might fail, or not be the more appropriate, or simply not the best one.

If so...

> If you will relax these points you will loose the meaning of having
> stable/testing/unstable. Everyone will be encourged to upload to stable to
> fix even the most insignificant whishlist bug.

... said that your points are good, it may be useful to define a forum for the
discussion of cases like phpgroupware or snort. In the end i whould say that
there must be a general behaviour, but we should leave space for discussion:
packages are not all the same. I don't like the "pessimistic" approach of
saying "we discourage": i would rather say that the behaviour described in
Policy/developers-reference are trusted, solid but general, and that some
particular cases may be discussed on debian-whatever list.

ciao,
--
Luca - De Whiskey's - De Vitis              | Elegant or ugly code as well
aliases: Luca ^De [A-Z][A-Za-z\-]*[iy]'\?s$ | as fine or rude sentences have