Re: Why back-porting patches to stable instead of releasing a new package.

http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/ch-pkgs.en.html#s-bug-security

in particular "5.8.5.3 Preparing packages to address security issues"
will answer your question

Fabio

--
Our mission: make IPv6 the default IP protocol
"We are on a mission from God" - Elwood Blues

http://www.itojun.org/paper/itojun-nanog-200210-ipv6isp/mgp00004.html