why mplayer not in Debian

hi

I just want to say that some time ago Dariush Pietrzak
<eyck@ghost.anime.pl> and I decided to package mplayer

when we uploaded for the first time, the ftp-installer had some (good)
reasons not to accept it

so we went into it and tried to clear all possible problems
w.r.t. DFSG: we sent e-mails to any author of any piece of code that
was suspicious, and at the end we did a packaging of mplayer 0.90 rc4
that we thought was ok

it is in
deb http://tonelli.sns.it/pub/mplayer/ ./

unfortunately it has never been accepted, and we never received a
reply when we uploaded it (and, I have sent many e-mails)

also, last time I checked , mplayer was in the list of programs
that cannot be packaged for Debian

this is, simply said , why nobody is mantaining mplayer in Debian

:-(

I am still willing to mantain mplayer, but I will not do any work
unless someone that has ftp-installer priviledge in Debian states that
s/he will help (= examine it when we upload and tell if it can go into
Debian, or why it cannot go)

( last time I tried, it looked as if there was some automatic filter that
 drops mplayer from the incoming queue: indeed, I never received
 the e-mail reply 'mplayer is new, please wait' that is
 sent on upload of a new package)

a.

ps: I am not subscribed to the list

--
Andrea Mennucc
 "E' un mondo difficile. Che vita intensa!" (Tonino Carotone)