Re: Enable timestamps in diff.gz?

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003, Denis Barbier wrote:

> I do not see your point, how could a format change be less intrusive than
> adding timestamps?
> Here is a patch to let dpkg-source honor timestamps, in case it generates
> such diff.gz one day.

The problem is old, already installed versions of dpkg-source will barf on
such formats.  However, they won't barf if the format version is changed,
they'll just abort.

Barfing is worse than aborting.  You get a nicer error in the latter case.

Besides, there are several plans for a new format, so why do this incompatible
thing, when a new version is not far off?