Re: Future releases of Debian

On Sat, Jul 19, 2003 at 08:42:37PM +0100, Roger Leigh wrote:
> I contacted the SRM about the possibility of inclusion of gimp-print
> 4.2.5-1woody0 in a point release, but I've not had any reply yet.  It
> doesn't meed the usual criteria for a stable release, but this type of
> update would greatly improve the "woody experience" for users of
> stable.

This is a case where a new version of gimp-print would help you.

I know many people who need a new version of SANE for their printer.

Some people will soon need support for kernel 2.6.

My Matrox G550 requires XFree86 >= 4.2 .

If you start to include new versions, like you suggest for gimp-print,
into stable it's worse than an official backport - people upgrading to
the latest point release will automatically get an improved new version,
but this version might contain new bugs that affect them.

If there was a new stable release of Debian exactly once a year
Debian 3.1 was released yesterday...

> Regards,
> Roger

cu