Re: Future releases of Debian

On Sat, Jul 19, 2003 at 09:31:14AM +0200, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> Adrian Bunk <bunk@fs.tum.de> wrote:
> [...]
> > The other big problem is that stable releases are unpredictable - at
> > least for a non-developer like me it's currently not predictable whether
> > Debian 3.1 will be released in 2004, 2005 or 2006.
> [...]
>
> I don't think developers do know it a lot better. I think the current
> plan basically looks like this: "Press for a release once the most
> distressing problems have been solved".
>
> Using my memory of my last visit on http://bjorn.haxx.se/debian/testing.pl
> and from reading diverse mailinglists I think the major issues are:
> - Gnome2 in testing
> - KDE3 in testing

At some time in the future both GNOME 2.2 and KDE 3.1 will be relatively
stable and available in testing. Then GNOME 2.4 and KDE 3.2 will be
released and the same problems start from the beginning. Without an idea
about a date when stable versions of all software must be in unstable
it's normal that developers tend to put the latest software into
unstable.

> - Gcc3.3 transition (i.e. recompiling and fixing bugs _both_ in the
>   packages and the compiler suite)

Most of the bugs in packages should already be either fixed or reported
in the BTS. gcc 3.3 itself is AFAIK still not in a perfect state, but
there aren't big problems in gcc that would make a freeze within the
next months impossible.

> - XFree86 4.3

The current state of the XFree86 4.3 packaging looks promising, it
doesn't seem it will take many months until it will hit unstable.

> - Debian Installer

The Debian installer is an exception, it really needs to be ready.

Besides, 871 RC bugs in packages in testing (not counting RC bugs in
packages that are only in unstable) [1] won't go away within a few days.

> I do not have any deep insights in any of these (especially on the
> installer) but I seriously hope that they will have been dealt with
> at the end of year, adding 4 months of freeze this would result in
> May 2004.

4 months for a freeze is _very_ optimistic.

>                 cu andreas

cu
Adrian

[1] http://bugs.debian.org/release-critical/