Re: Future releases of Debian

Adrian Bunk <bunk@fs.tum.de> wrote:
[...]
> The other big problem is that stable releases are unpredictable - at
> least for a non-developer like me it's currently not predictable whether
> Debian 3.1 will be released in 2004, 2005 or 2006.
[...]

I don't think developers do know it a lot better. I think the current
plan basically looks like this: "Press for a release once the most
distressing problems have been solved".

Using my memory of my last visit on http://bjorn.haxx.se/debian/testing.pl
and from reading diverse mailinglists I think the major issues are:
- Gnome2 in testing
- KDE3 in testing
- Gcc3.3 transition (i.e. recompiling and fixing bugs _both_ in the
  packages and the compiler suite)
- XFree86 4.3
- Debian Installer

I do not have any deep insights in any of these (especially on the
installer) but I seriously hope that they will have been dealt with
at the end of year, adding 4 months of freeze this would result in
May 2004.

The link you posted is on wwwoffle request-list I have not read it
yet.
                cu andreas
--
Hey, da ist ein Ballonautomat auf der Toilette!
Unofficial _Debian-packages_ of latest unstable _tin_