Re: Future releases of Debian

On Sat, Jul 19, 2003 at 02:25:32AM +0200, aradorlinux@yahoo.es wrote:
> > [2] This shouldn't start a "Why wasn't XFree86 4.2 included in
> >     Debian 3.0?" discussion - XFree86 4.2 would have lowered the
> >     problems for some time, but within half a year the problems would be
> >     similar.
>
> Ditto for gnome/kde; gnome2 wasn't very stable when woody was released
> but today a gnome 2.0 backport has some sense.

IOW:
To use GNOME 1 in Debian 3.0 was the right decision since slightly
outdated stable software is usually better than bleeding-edge buggy
software. A new stable release would give users a version of GNOME that
is both stable and more recent.

> Personally i've had some problems with XFree 4.1 that i don't have with
> X 4.2; sadly i couldn't report them in time. I mean, stable wasn't "stable"
> for me. But i'm usually a corner-case, so who cares ;)

Next year, people might have problems with XFree86 4.2 that don't occur
with XFree86 4.2. The intention of my footnote was:
You might discuss specific issues, but the general problem with heavily
outdated software remains valid.

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.