Re: default MTA for sarge

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 11:52:33 +0200, Marco d'Itri <md@Linux.IT> wrote:
>No, it's not. This is a working default postfix configuration which
>allows local and remote delivery. Three statements.
>
># your hostname. I'm not actually sure that this is needed
>myhostname = host.example.com
># required by debian policy
>myorigin = /etc/mailname
># want relaying?
># mynetworks = 10.0.0.0/8
># want procmail by default?
># mailbox_command = procmail -a "$EXTENSION"
># want a smarthost?
># relayhost = [smtp.example.net]
>
># I consider this to be a bug of the debian postfix package,
># $program_directory should be correct by default.
>program_directory = /usr/libexec/postfix
>
>Now please try to express the same configuration in exim.conf format.

Actually, one should compare this configuration file to exim4's
update-exim4.conf.conf. Without ever having my fingers on postfix, if
that's a complete configuration, there seems to be a lot of magic and
default values in the program code itself while exim needs some pretty
run-of-the mill default configuration present in its config file to be
able to do even the most easiest tasks.

From my experience with ifupdown, I have learned that magic done by
default by a program is bad if you want to modify that magic. Thus, I
prefer the way of exim's minimal configuration being longer than
postfix's for the sake of flexibility, which I have frequently needed
in the past.

Greetings
Marc