Re: default MTA for sarge

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 11:52:33AM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Jul 15, Andreas Metzler <ametzler@downhill.at.eu.org> wrote:
>
>  >it's very easy to configure:
>  >Exim is, too.
> No, it's not. This is a working default postfix configuration which
> allows local and remote delivery. Three statements.

Interesting. This is going a little off a tangent but I wonder if ones
preference depends on the way you think. See, your example file is very
short but I hate it for the same reason I hate sendmail: too much magic.

I see sendmail configuration files that are ten lines long and I can't wrap
my brain around them. OTOH, when I look at an Exim configuration I can see
the steps. After global parameters, looks if the domain is in local_domains,
if so see list A else list B. Each list is traversed in order until one
matches and a delivery happens. Postfix seems the other way round; there is
a setup somewhere that you tweak using options in your configuration.

We have someone at work who is a Postfix fan so I have looked into it. But
our Exim configuration checks several user lists in a specific order and
does different types of deliveries depending on various tests. While I'm
sure this is possible in Postfix I can't see how to do it.

Does any one have a link to a *complicated* postfix setup; something that
will cause the penny to drop?

Have a nice day,