Re: default MTA for sarge

On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 05:26:05PM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
> Ok, but does that equate to the integration at the level of sa-exim?  IE, SA
> scores mail over x, the mail is 451'd.  Another score, 550'd.  Etc.

this is certainly possible in the latest postfix, but is not recommended due to
the risk of the filter (i.e. SA or clamav) not responding within a reasonable
time on a heavily-loaded system...which would result in SMTP session timeouts
and bounces or retransmissions of email.

(a lot of people want this, though....it was a feature recently added due to
popular request.  i probably want it myself, but i have to do a lot of testing
before i decide whether it's worth the risks of implementing it on my mail
servers or not).

what is recommended is to let the filter tag the incoming mail (as
spam/non-spam, virus/non-virus) and have the MDA either deliver, discard, or
bounce[1] the mail.

[1] bouncing (as opposed to SMTP 5xx rejecting) high-scoring mail is not a good
idea, as you end up clogging your queue with undeliverable spam
bounces....better to either deliver or discard.

craig