Re: Every spam is sacred

Mathieu Roy wrote:
> > IMHO, the best of both worlds is blocking the *completely* obvious
> > spam (open relays, etc. like the DSBL does) and filtering the rest.
>
> A message sent via these bad ISP is a "completely obvious spam"? I
> would be happy to share this simplistic approach.

You are the one being simplistic.

Please go to http://dsbl.org and read about it.

> But people cannot always select by themselves their tools (employee in
> a company... etc ; see the example below). Usually, they can at their
> option use hotmail (woaw, what a recommendation) or yahoo. But it's a
> workaround.
>
> A workaround for the problem this policy creates: at the contrary of
> what you said, you rarely can say whether a mail is spam or not just
> with an IP.

For some IPs, yes, I can, with 99.95% of confidence.

You have to be aware that these IPs are not the ones that people normally
use to deliver their email (i.e the IP of your ISP's SMTP server).

My advice has not changed: Please go to http://dsbl.org and read about it.

> An example:
> Last summer, I had to use AOL for a month. AOL at many regards could
> be in list of bad ISP that do not care at all of spam (no answer by
> abuse@aol... etc).

I know for sure that AOL fights spam. They even sue some spammers from
time to time. Go to their web site. It's very interesting.

> What if I had to report a bug about debian?
> Creating an account on yahoo instead of using debbugs.el in my
> favorite mail reader? Working everyday on fencepost via ssh with a 56K
> modem to avoid getting my mails refused because of my IP?

You are missing the point because you don't know how DSBL works.
Please go to http://dsbl.org and read about it.

AOL's outgoing SMTP servers are not open relays.

If debian-admin eventually gives us the opportunity to block messages
from the DSBL on a per-user basis, it's nearly impossible that a
message you send me from AOL to my @debian.org address is blocked by
master, unless AOL makes a big configuration mistake in their SMTP
servers, but they would surely fix this immediately, since many people
blocks messages coming from open relays as well.