Re: Accepted bwidget 1.6.0-1 (all source)

Paul Slootman <paul@debian.org> writes:

> On Mon 26 May 2003, Brian Nelson wrote:
>
>> Umm, no, the changelog is for listing changes (*change* log, get it?),
>> not for just closing bugs without any reason given whatsoever.
>>
>> Why do so many seem to have difficulty with this concept?  Is it
>> worthwhile to Cc this stuff to -devel, or should I just give up and let
>> the proliferation of these IMO useless changelogs continue?  (serious,
>> not rhetorical, questions)
>
> Presumably the people who continue to do this don't read debian-devel,
> or at least not thoroughly (the subject line of your messages don't
> necessarily reflect the point you're trying to get across).

I always send my messages to the maintainer as well.  Unfortunately, it
seems that for every message I send, 3 more changelogs show up with shit
entries in them.

> Perhaps a separate, concise message to debian-devel-announce?

I doubt it would help.  I see changelog abuse as an act of laziness, not
ignorance.  Common sense says that you should be listing changes in the
changelog.  It's not like there aren't plenty examples of changelogs, as
well as discussions on IRC and mailing lists, and a lengthy dissertation
in the Developer's Reference.

If a few particular maintainers are going to ignore all of the examples
of proper changelog use, why should a message to debian-devel-announce
help?  They'll just ignore that too.

--
Poems... always a sign of pretentious inner turmoil.