Re: Help wanted for packaging postgresql application

On Mon, 26 May 2003, Matthias Urlichs wrote:

> Hi, Andreas Tille wrote:
>
> >   1. How to change the postgresql configuration in a way which just
> >      adds minimum off additional rights?
>
> I'd say "don't". The user should be able to set up a new postgresql user
> by themselves, or maybe they'd like to reuse an existing account, or maybe
> they want to use their own account creation script.
Creating a system account matching the postgresql user is definitely no
option.  The GnuMed system creates more than one database user and this
would mean in the end bloating server and client boxes with unused system
accounts.

> You might want to offer a "re-enter and retry" step if the setup fails
> (misspelled password?).
No, I just tried a Python-Script doing the job using the very same variable
for creating the account with password and opening the connection.

Thus the postgresql server has to allow connections of non system users
from localhost and also from other hosts (GnuMed clients) in the next step
while keeping the possibility to authenticate via ident.

Kind regards

        Andreas.

PS: CC to debian-postgresql which seems apropriate for this part of the
    question.