Re: Maintaining kernel source in sarge

On Sun, May 18, 2003 at 12:06:21PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> 	There is also a mechanism to order the order in which
>  kernel-patches are applied -- so if, say, a m68k kernel image
>  maintainer wanted to create a patch relative to the i386 patches,
>  they could depend on that patch, and order the m68k kernel-pacth to
>  be applied later in the chain than the i386 patch.
>
> 	This dependency-and-ordering mechanism could be extended to
>  third party modules.
>
> 	People interested in hammering out details of this mechanism,
>  and kernel image maintainers, please contact me; perhaps it is time
>  to create policy for kernel patches.

dh-kpatches provides a dependency/ordering facility which has worked well
for me in my packages.  It also provides
/usr/share/doc/kernel-image-foo/applied-patches documenting the package and
version for each patch that is applied.  I think this would be a good
starting point for such a policy, since it is already being applied in
Debian.

--
 - mdz