Re: Maintaining kernel source in sarge

On Sun, 18 May 2003 16:52:54 +0200, Martin Schulze <joey@infodrom.org> said:

> I also wonder if there are efforts in progress to unify the kernel
> source through more than two architectures?  This would require a
> group or architecture maintainers (current kernel package
> mantainers) to work collaboratively towards this goal.

	When I first envisaged the kernel source and kernel-patch
 system, I always figured there should be a single source package per
 version -- the one you get from kernel.org. *EVERY* arch, including
 i386, should provided a kernel-patch package with all the changes for
 their arch based on the pristine kernel source.

	There is also a mechanism to order the order in which
 kernel-patches are applied -- so if, say, a m68k kernel image
 maintainer wanted to create a patch relative to the i386 patches,
 they could depend on that patch, and order the m68k kernel-pacth to
 be applied later in the chain than the i386 patch.

	This dependency-and-ordering mechanism could be extended to
 third party modules.

	People interested in hammering out details of this mechanism,
 and kernel image maintainers, please contact me; perhaps it is time
 to create policy for kernel patches.

	manoj
--
Chip Salzenberg sent me a complete patch to add System V IPC (msg, sem
and shm calls), so I added them.  If that bothers you, you can always