Re: Do not touch l10n files (was Re: DDTP issue)

Em Sat, 17 May 2003 07:54:55 +0200 (CEST), Fabio Massimo Di Nitto
<fabbione@fabbione.net> escreveu:

> > Then you ask people to submit bugs to change the original description.
>
> Yes because if they believe that a better layout should be in place i
> don't see anything wrong in filing a wishlist bug. I would do the same if
> i feel that a description is not readable or can be improved.

Let's clear this out. I do completely agree with you that there should
be clear conversation between maintainer and translator. Both are important
in the process of reaching the Universal goal.

I would agree on setting a policy saying that translators must file wishlist
bugs to present the maintainer their reasons for a future layout change.
I do not agree to binding any typographical stuff to the original with
no appeal. I think we should be rational here, different languages do have
different needs.

So I suggest we: set a policy defining that layout changes are acceptable
but must be taken to the maintainer's review and, if maintainer desagrees
with translator, the discussion should be taken to an appropriate
i18n-tech-ctte forum (that could even be debian-devel, as we have lots
of people speaking lots of different languages here).

> that can satisfy all the languages we have in Debian. Don't forget that
> most of the text we use in descriptions (or templates, or whatever) are
> based on technical language and terms, imho most of them farly new i would
> say and only recently adopted by common languages.

Sure, but that does not mean the typographical rules/recommendations for
each languages should not apply.

Thanks,

[]s!

--