Re: Do not touch l10n files (was Re: DDTP issue)

On Sat, 17 May 2003, Martin Schulze wrote:
> Please keep in mind that a translation is a translation and not a
> redesign or reformat.  When translating documents and strings, you

True. But the Debian translators are trying to l10n Debian, not to translate
it.  And l10n *includes* redesign, reformat, and just about everything the
i18n structure of the program/documentation/system allows one to do in order
to make it stick to *all* the conventions of a locale.  And the better the
i18n structure, the MORE you can change when doing l10n.

And those conventions DO include layout, style, grammar... not just
language.

> should always try to stay as close to the original as you can.  Changing
> the text layout is a NO-GO in my opinion - and in the opinion of our
> Apache people apparently.

Apparently. We are trying to bring to light that proper l10n requires more
than that.

Oh, obviously this requires that the DDTP data makes it to inside the deb,
and that maintainers have a "update-from-ddtp" tool that fetches all l10n
data in there, updates it for all locales (this DOES include adding new
ones, and trashing deprecated ones).  That way, the maintainer can (as often
as he has time to do so) get the full view of his package in all locales.

Users would still get the up-to-date data from the DDTP (if they wish so),
or the one in the package (especially for stable releases), at their choice.

When contention arrises, we talk it out such as what is being done for the
apache case.

Is it different from what we do now? Certainly.  Is it better? Well, IMHO it
is MUCH better if we indeed are trying to make Debian universal.  Will it
work?  I am not sure, but I am willing to try.  Too bad I don't have time to
code the tools.

  Henrique Holschuh