[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: Status of Sarge Release Issues (Updated for May)

Anthony Towns dijo [Wed, May 07, 2003 at 11:45:10AM +1000]:
> > I would not wait for 2.6 to be in Sarge... Remember how much time we had
> > to wait between the first 2.3.99 and the 2.4 release. 
> Personally, I wouldn't wait for 2.6 to put 2.5 in sarge. It's easy for us
> to distribute both 2.4 and 2.5 kernels, it's important for us to support
> people using 2.5.x kernels, and doing that would make dropping 2.6.x in
> much easier. But that's probably just me.

I agree - but a very different thing would be to announce that Sarge
would be 2.5 (or 2.6) based - Given Linux's stable branch's
stabilization time, 2.5 (or 2.6) should be an option - but 2.4 should
remain the default. And... Well, I don't know how many people use 2.2
nowadays (I recently read about a big issue with 2.4 on m68k... can't
recall what was it), but I think it has to stick at least until Sarge
comes - As an option as well. Maybe Sarge+1 will be able to drop 2.2.


Gunnar Wolf - gwolf@gwolf.cx - (+52-55)5630-9700 ext. 1366
PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23
Fingerprint: 0C79 D2D1 2C4E 9CE4 5973  F800 D80E F35A 8BB5 27AF

Attachment: pgpCqEBMQisTT.pgp
Description: PGP signature

Reply to: