Re: HylaFax

* Brian May (bam@debian.org) [030507 05:35]:
> On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 11:06:08AM +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:
> > I _am_ sure, see the changelog. faxspool has now a suid user helper
> > programm that manages permissions (like at other places, e.g.
> > injecting e-mail etc). No code is executed as root for sending faxes
> > any more.

> I can't see any suid helper programs in the Debian package...
> What is it called?
>
> There is /usr/lib/mgetty-fax/faxq-helper, but it definitely
> is not installed suid.

Faxing is broken right now (as I said in a mail before). faxq-helper
_should_ be suid, and various other things should also be changed. I'm
just doing a few tests right now, and in the next days the maintainer
will release the next version that has the right suid-Binaries.

> What is the purpose of the fax group? Are users required to
> be part of this group in order to send faxes now there is
> a suid user help program? Does /var/spool/fax/outgoing and
> /var/lock/fax still need to be writeable by the fax grooup
> (as they currently are on my system)?

Broken right now. /var/spool/fax/outgoing and /var/lock/fax should
only be writeable by the uid faxq-helper is set-to. (Well, you haven't
discovered at least one more bug.)

In the next version after my patch it seems to work.

Cheers,
Andi
--
   http://home.arcor.de/andreas-barth/