Re: Backporting a package from unstable to stable

> To use an example, I'd like to take the source package for Snort (2.0.0-2)
> in unstable and rebuild it against stable so that I can update my
> otherwise stable installation with a newer version of Snort, without
> dragging in all the other dependencies from unstable that just installing
> the Snort 2.0.0-2 binary package from unstable would do.
>
> Is it as simple as using something like pbuilder and tweaking the
> Build-Depends to match the versions of the packages that are in stable?

To answer the question, the answer is 'no, not always'.

You need some try-and-error, and usually backporting one package
requires backporting of another. However, many people do it due to
their needs.

The biggest stumbling block is probably debhelper; if you could ignore
that, things would be pretty straightforward (in most cases).

regards,
	junichi