Backporting a package from unstable to stable

Hi,

To use an example, I'd like to take the source package for Snort (2.0.0-2)
in unstable and rebuild it against stable so that I can update my
otherwise stable installation with a newer version of Snort, without
dragging in all the other dependencies from unstable that just installing
the Snort 2.0.0-2 binary package from unstable would do.

Is it as simple as using something like pbuilder and tweaking the
Build-Depends to match the versions of the packages that are in stable?

Andrew