Re: /run and read-only /etc

On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 06:50:15PM +1000, Jamie Wilkinson wrote:
> This one time, at band camp, Thomas Hood wrote:
> >Jamie Wilkinson wrote:
> >> That is right!  The core of the matter is not whether
> >> filesystems need to be mounted over the network or not,
> >> but whether the parts of the filesystem you are attempting
> >> to write to are on the root filesystem or not.

> >The essence of /run/ had better not include that it be a
> >directory on the root filesystem, because the current proposal
> >is that it be possible for /run/ to be a RAM-based filesystem
> >on systems with read-only root media.

> The problem I have with that is a catch-22 situation with mount trying to
> write to mtab, when the directory containing mtab doesn't yet exist.  Your
> goal to make / mounted read-only will obviously need a solution to that.
> I don't have an answer to that just yet.

Shell pseudocode was posted to this thread (a month ago?) that showed
how the init scripts could handle the requirement that /run be mounted
early, even if it's not on the root fs.  The init scripts already
include special handling of /proc and /, IIRC; one more special-cased
directory isn't technically infeasible, and unless someone decides to
move /run elsewhere, it should be the last mount point that ever needs
to be special cased wrt mtab.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer