Re: /run and read-only /etc

On Sat, 2003-04-12 at 10:12, Anthony DeRobertis wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-04-09 at 14:17, Thomas Hood wrote:
> >   * ppp
> >     * Change /usr/sbin/pppd to:
> >       * Store PID in /run/, not in /var/run/
> Why? Is the goal to make PPP-mounter /var to work?!

I suppose someone might want to mount /var/ across a ppp link.
If we are making the other changes then we might as well make
this one too, unless there is absolutely no point in doing so
(... because it is impossible to mount /var/ across a ppp link
for some reason I am overlooking?).

> If so, pppd has to be moved to /sbin.

Well, /usr/ could be local but /var/ remote.

> > The proposed new directory is for files similar to those in /var/run/
> > that are not just variable and unshareable but also local -- i.e., they
> > must be writable independently of network connectivity.
>
> No, they must be on the root file system, like /bin and /sbin. Remember
> the root FS can be network mounted, e.g., over NFS.

How about this then:
   The proposed new directory is for files that serve similar
   purposes to those in /var/run and that are not just variable
   and unshareable but also available early enough to be used
   by programs in /sbin and /bin.

--
Thomas Hood <jdthood0@yahoo.co.uk>