Re: Kernel 2.5

* Mark Shuttleworth <mark@hbd.com> [030427 16:59]:
> I've configured and built the kernel, using gcc-2.95, make bzImage and
> modules, installed modules under /lib/modules/2.5.68. Everything goes
> fine except for a bunch of depmod errors during the 'make
> modules_install' which I'm guessing is because the new modules don't
> match the running kernel.

I believe that you can still build with gcc-2.95.  To the best of my
recollection I did do that at least once... although I've been using 3.2
for the most recent builds.

The new modules (*.ko) do not work with the old module utils.  It may be
that you just have to rebuild the kernel with the presence of these new
utilities.

$ apt-cache show module-init-tools
Package: module-init-tools
Section: admin
Installed-Size: 292
Maintainer: Christopher L Cheney <ccheney@debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 0.9.11-1
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.1-1)
Conflicts: modutils (<= 2.4.21-1)
Filename:
pool/main/m/module-init-tools/module-init-tools_0.9.11-1_i386.deb
Size: 57682
MD5sum: 02a3792d3557590cba978d82aa40383b
 This package contains a set of programs for loading, inserting, and
 removing kernel modules for Linux (versions 2.5.48 and above). It serves
 the same function that the "modutils" package serves for Linux 2.4.

B.

--
				WebSig: http://www.jukie.net/~bart/sig/