Re: i386 compatibility & libstdc++

On Sat, Apr 26, 2003 at 12:53:04PM -0400, Bart Trojanowski wrote:

> re 'at run time':  Does that mean that at compile time there are
> multiple snippets of functionally-equivalent code compiled to support
> varied run-time arch's?

The support is actually in the runtime linker.  libssl is compiled
multiple times with CPU-optimized versions installed into subdirectories
of /usr/lib indicating the CPU type.  While doing runtime linking ld.so
looks first in the CPU-specific subdirectories.  This only works if the
ABIs of the libraries are interchangable.