Re: i386 compatibility & libstdc++

On Fri, 2003-04-25 at 11:06, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> It's a compromise, but I think it's still better than forcing everyone
> on the i486 compatibility that is just as obsolete as i386 (i.e. you won't
> buy any _new_ i486 machines in order to run Debian).

I've bought one, the company I work for has gotten a few, with plans to
get many more if the need arises.

Debian isn't just used on desktops, laptops, and servers. It's used in
embedded equipment, too. It's used on old hardware as well.

If you want to split the i386 architecture in to two architectures, one
for < PII and one for PII or greater, that would add a lot of archive
use. It might be doable if there were some magic to make there only be a
difference for libstdc++-using packages.