Re: i386 compatibility & libstdc++

On Sat, Apr 26, 2003 at 03:41:31AM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le sam 26/04/2003 à 03:15, Chris Cheney a écrit :
> > i686 has been common for 6 years now (1997 P2/K6), so its hardly just in
> > the past two years. ;)
>
> Err, k6 is not a 686 as to my knowledge.

Between this post "http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2001-06/msg01180.html"; and
the post I copied with respect to Via C3 it seems that K6 might actually
work as i686 if upstream GCC fixed their cmov "bug".

> >  I agree the split should be at the i686 border
> > assuming this doesn't harm athlon systems.
>
> This would be a good border, but we would need to provide a much larger
> subset of packages (if not all the distro) for 386/486/586, while we
> would only need to provide what can run on a 386 if we set the limit
> between 386 and 486.

The last true i586 based cpu I know of was the Mobile Pentium MMX 300
which was released around Jan 1998. If we are going to make a break at
all it should be at the arch that makes the best speed increase for
modern systems (Athlon/P4) imho, whichever that happens to be. Of course
to use i686 we would need to convince GCC to fix that cmov bug which
would keep AMD K6(?) and Via C3 from working properly on i686.

Chris