Re: i386 compatibility & libstdc++

Hi,

On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 08:53:40PM +1000, Russell Coker wrote:

> It does sound like it would be a good idea to have a separate build for 386
> and 486, then we could optimise everything else for 586+.

Hmm... I'd argue for putting the split at either 386 vs 486+ (the latter
at least has a math copro and CMPXCHG), or at 386-pentium vs 686+.

I say this because the original pentium didn't introduce a lot of new
features other than the two pipelines for which you only need some insn
scheduling that's fully compatible with the 486, and IIRC wasn't sold
nearly as well as the various flavours of the 486.

In other words, if you use 486-compatible instructions and pentium
scheduling, you're already taking almost full advantage of the pentium.
It makes therefore little sense to group the original pentium with the
later architectures.

Cheers,

Emile.

--