Re: plagiarism of reiserfs by Debian

* Glenn Maynard (g_deb@zewt.org) [030422 05:50]:
> On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 12:25:39PM +1000, Martin Pool wrote:

> > banner at startup is inconvenient.  However just cutting it out is not
> > a good way to resolve the bug.  The maintainer made a mistake here.
> > It ought to be obvious that removing a author/sponsor notice would be
> > likely to offend.

> It's not obvious.  Removing a sponsorship notice is something I'd do without
> a second thought; it's nothing more than advertisement and it's just as
> annoying to me as a banner ad.

I object: There is always a cause why a certain message is output. A
debian maintainer should (morally) at least ask what the upstream
maintainer thinks about removing the sponsorship message and remove it
against the will of the upstream maintainer only in very rare cases
after appropriate discussions within the debian project. Everything
else is at least very unfriendly. (I'm not speaking formally whether
the removal is allowed, and consequences for the freedomsnes of the
software in respect to debians guidelines. That's a totally different
discussion.)

Andi
--
   http://home.arcor.de/andreas-barth/
   Fachbegriffe des Schienenverkehrs #1         von Marc Haber in dasr