Re: curl, testing and gcc-3.2 (?) (was Re: Debian curl package depends on gcc-3.2?)

On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 11:45:08PM +0200, Bj?rn Stenberg wrote:
> Colin Watson wrote:
> > The reason why a library's shlibs get changed
> > is that binaries built against one version of the library can't be
> > guaranteed to run correctly against older versions.
>
> Because the interface changed or because the previous version was buggy?
>
> I have always assumed the first reason, but it seems many maintainers are
> using the second.

first reason, interface changes.

libcurl provides a function (curl_easy_setopt) which is used to set
options for the run. if new options are added i have to change shlibs,
i cannot know whether a program linking the new libcurl uses any new
option.  hence, i cannot allow its installation with an older libcurl.

-----[ Domenico Andreoli, aka cavok
 --[ http://filibusta.crema.unimi.it/~cavok/gpgkey.asc
   ---[ 3A0F 2F80 F79C 678A 8936  4FEE 0677 9033 A20E BC50