Re: curl, testing and gcc-3.2 (?) (was Re: Debian curl package depends on gcc-3.2?)

Matthias Urlichs wrote:

>>>    Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.1-1), libgcc1 (>= 1:3.2.3-0pre6), ...
> Note that the version shown is simply the current libgcc.so version.

Current as of when? When the upload was done?

> dpkg-shlibdeps has no idea whether an older version would be sufficient,
> so it plays safe.

Isn't this a problem? Especially for packages depending on libraries with
long release cycles, such as libgcc1 and libc6.

Note: I don't have a suggestion for a better method right now, I'm just
trying to understand the implications of the current system.

--
Björn