Re: Proposed handling of generated configuration files (Re: stop the "manage with debconf" madness)

> > I may have missed something but why can't the changed/merged
> > configuration files be saved somewhere in preinstall phase
> > [...]
>
> Again: see my first message and followups for a specific, concrete example
> of why this won't work.

Thanks, I read the thread. So the reason was that configuration file
generation is mostly done in postinst scripts? I didn't quite get why it
couldn't in practically all cases be done in preinst (or even a completely
new installation if required), though. Could you provide some
counter-example(s)?

I doubt the (pre-)dependencies on tools used for generation would really be a
problem - the generation scripts are usually quite simple and can usually use
pretty standard tools that don't change much.

- Jarno