Re: >2000 packages still waiting to enter testing, > 1500 over age

On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 08:30:42PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 05:59:26PM +0200, Michael Banck wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 04:40:31PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > > depth, i cannot help all that much about it, and libvorbis is a valid
> > > candidate, but his installation would break 107 or so packages in
> > > testing, and i have not really the intention to check by hand all those
> > > 107 packages. I believe it is just some packages that need to be rebuilt
> > > due to the libvorbis0a thingy, not sure though. I already checked the
> > > primary dependencies of all our packages (around 40) by hand, which
> >
> > apt-cache showpkg libvorbis0 prints out just a couple of packages. Is
>
> You have to look at the update_output.txt file, it shows :
>
>     * alpha: adonthell, alsaplayer, alsaplayer-alsa, alsaplayer-common,
>     * alsaplayer-esd, alsaplayer-gtk, alsaplayer-nas, alsaplayer-oss,
>     * alsaplayer-text, amoeba, artsbuilder, audacity, bitcollider-plugins,
>     * black-box, brahms, bugsquish, bumprace, cantus, castle-combat, chromium,
>     * circuslinux, clanlib-dev, clanlib-vorbis, crimson, criticalmass, csmash,
>     * defendguin, easytag, enigma, fags, frozen-bubble, gcompris, gemdropx,
>     * gjay, gl-117, gltron, gqmpeg, gtoaster, heroes-sdl, icebreaker, jack,
>     * jumpnbump, kdebase-audiolibs, kdebase-dev, kdemultimedia-dev, kreatecd,
>     * langband-zterm, lbreakout2, lgeneral, libarts-mpeglib, libopenal-dev,
>     * libopenal0, libsdl-mixer1.2, libsdl-mixer1.2-dev, libsdl-ocaml,
>     * libsdl-ocaml-dev, libsdl-perl, libsdl-ruby, libxine-dev, libxine0,
>     * ltris, madbomber, mangoquest, mirrormagic, moon-lander, mp3blaster,
>     * mp3c, mp3kult, mpeglib, noatun, noatun-plugins, penguin-command, prboom,
>     * pygame, python-pyvorbis, race, ripperx, rockdodger, rocks-n-diamonds,
>     * saytime, simplecdrx, sinek, sox, sox-dev, sweep, terminatorx, timidity,
>     * toppler, tuxpaint, tuxpuck, tuxracer, tuxtype, vectoroids, vegastrike,
>     * vorbis-tools, vorbisgain, vsound, xine-ui, zinf, zinf-extras,
>     * zinf-plugin-alsa, zinf-plugin-esound

Is this with libvorbis being 'recur'd by the testing script? If I read
the documentation correctly, then:
libvorbis will be rejected because it breaks everything that depends on
libvorbis0.
Everything that now depends on libvorbis0a will be rejected because
their dependancies cannot be met...

I guess someone has to add a hint to the testing script to recur over
libvorbis and see if upgrading it would mean less breakage than
currently exists... Which is probably true if all the packages which
depend on it are "valid candidates".

If libvorbis is 'recur'd unsuccessfully, then you'll get a complete list
of the packages in testing which would be broken by libvorbis and which
can't be updated to a version that depends on libvorbis0a. On _all_
arches, not just one.

Handy, eh?

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson@Anu.edu.au

Of course Pacman didn't influence us as kids. If it did,
we'd be running around in darkened rooms, popping pills and
listening to repetitive music.
 -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

use, duplication and distribution.