Re: >2000 packages still waiting to enter testing, > 1500 over age

On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 05:59:26PM +0200, Michael Banck wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 04:40:31PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > depth, i cannot help all that much about it, and libvorbis is a valid
> > candidate, but his installation would break 107 or so packages in
> > testing, and i have not really the intention to check by hand all those
> > 107 packages. I believe it is just some packages that need to be rebuilt
> > due to the libvorbis0a thingy, not sure though. I already checked the
> > primary dependencies of all our packages (around 40) by hand, which
>
> apt-cache showpkg libvorbis0 prints out just a couple of packages. Is

You have to look at the update_output.txt file, it shows :

    * alpha: adonthell, alsaplayer, alsaplayer-alsa, alsaplayer-common,
    * alsaplayer-esd, alsaplayer-gtk, alsaplayer-nas, alsaplayer-oss,
    * alsaplayer-text, amoeba, artsbuilder, audacity, bitcollider-plugins,
    * black-box, brahms, bugsquish, bumprace, cantus, castle-combat, chromium,
    * circuslinux, clanlib-dev, clanlib-vorbis, crimson, criticalmass, csmash,
    * defendguin, easytag, enigma, fags, frozen-bubble, gcompris, gemdropx,
    * gjay, gl-117, gltron, gqmpeg, gtoaster, heroes-sdl, icebreaker, jack,
    * jumpnbump, kdebase-audiolibs, kdebase-dev, kdemultimedia-dev, kreatecd,
    * langband-zterm, lbreakout2, lgeneral, libarts-mpeglib, libopenal-dev,
    * libopenal0, libsdl-mixer1.2, libsdl-mixer1.2-dev, libsdl-ocaml,
    * libsdl-ocaml-dev, libsdl-perl, libsdl-ruby, libxine-dev, libxine0,
    * ltris, madbomber, mangoquest, mirrormagic, moon-lander, mp3blaster,
    * mp3c, mp3kult, mpeglib, noatun, noatun-plugins, penguin-command, prboom,
    * pygame, python-pyvorbis, race, ripperx, rockdodger, rocks-n-diamonds,
    * saytime, simplecdrx, sinek, sox, sox-dev, sweep, terminatorx, timidity,
    * toppler, tuxpaint, tuxpuck, tuxracer, tuxtype, vectoroids, vegastrike,
    * vorbis-tools, vorbisgain, vsound, xine-ui, zinf, zinf-extras,
    * zinf-plugin-alsa, zinf-plugin-esound

I have looked at the ocaml based packages (they where 34 only) but
hadn't had had the courage to do the same for libvorbis 107 packages.

> there a authoritative list of which packages need to be fixed? I
> recompiled a couple of them as I found out about the bugs, but I did not
> find any coordinated effort yet.

That is the problem, it is not really easy to parse the update_output
data to know exactly why a group of packages is hold back. You have to
look at each of these packages, at the version in sarge and the version
in sid that is going to replace it, check if they are valid candidates,
verify the provides/conflicts/depends and reiterate this same process
for all these packages. And even then, you cannot be 100% sure that will
catch everything. Ideally the testing script should be modified to
output more verbose data, but i don't speak perl.

Friendly,

Sven Luther