Re: /run and read-only /etc

On Apr 07, Thomas Hood <jdthood0@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

 >> See? It's easy and almost no package needs to be modified.
 >Easy for Debian developers, but not for Debian users.
Inexperienced users do not need a read only / anyway. Not relevant.

 >old locations.  But wouldn't it be easier for the admin
 >if s/he didn't have to do that because Debian developers
 >had done the job for him -- if the latter had modified the
 >programs to use the new locations and/or had packaged
 >the programs with the appropriate symlinks?
All the changes needed are not worth this.

 >You want to set up symlinks for all the temporary file names?
I did miss "temporary". This may be a bug, temporary files should go in
/tmp unless they have to be mv'ed in place.

 >>  >  * pam, shadow
 >>  >      Allow either /etc/nologin or /run/nologin to prevent non-root logins
 >> Use a symlink.
 >So no one will ever be able to log in?
A dangling symlink should be considered like a missing file.

 >>  >  * util-linux
 >>  >      Use /run/mtab for mount's statefile
 >> Use a symlink.
 >J.W.'s patch does create the symlink you desire.
This is good, because I do not want one unless I'm going to have a read
only / too.

 >>  >  * There should be some way of configuring named forwarders
 >>  >    without modifying /etc/bind/named.conf*.  Should the
 >>  >    named.conf.options file be stored under /var/lib?  Or
 >>  >    is there a cleaner solution?
 >> I'm sure you can master editing named.conf and including a configuration
 >> file fragment from wherever you want to put it.
 >A difficulty is that only a whole "options { ... };"
 >statement can be included from the named configuration file,
 >not just the "forwarders { ... };" statement inside it.
You can include a file even inside the options keyword.

--
ciao, |
Marco | [313 scqQZ6q5M3m/k]