Re: NOTICE: libcupsys2 splitting

Jeff,

On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 03:29:48AM -0500, Jeff Licquia wrote:
> A grave bug was filed against libcupsys2 regarding the combination of
> the libcups and libcupsimage libraries into one package and dependency
> problems resulting from the libpng2 -> libpng3 problem.

> To fix it, I have split libcupsys2.  The libcupsimage libraries and
> header files are now in "libcupsimage2{-dev}" packages as of 1.1.18-3,
> which is currently in incoming.

> Nearly all packages now depending on libcupsys2 link with libcups, not
> libcupsimage.  So, for these packages, there should be no disruption;
> your package deps should continue to be correct.

> If, however, your package deals with the CUPS raster image format
> somehow, your package will fail to work with 1.1.18-3 or later until it
> is rebuilt with the new libs.  I have identified three packages as
> possibly meeting that test: gs-esp, cupsys-driver-gimpprint, and
> foomatic-bin.  I maintain gs-esp, and will be dealing with that package
> shortly.  The other two maintainers are CCed on this message.

> In the meantime, people using unstable and printing with CUPS may wish
> to put libcupsys2 and cupsys on hold for a few days, especially if they
> rely on gimp-print or foomatic-based drivers.

Please note that the grave bug in question can be resolved by splitting
*only* the -dev package.  The libraries themselves don't impose any
conflicts, only the development symlinks.  You may have other reasons for
wanting to split libcupsys2 itself, but this split isn't strictly
necessary in order to fix #187897.

Regards,
--
Steve Langasek